Niagara Falls celebrating Pride Month
I know we were all reminded of these things when the television series West Wing first aired, but June being PRIDE MONTH, I thought it would be good to have answers ready for those who do not love as Jesus says to love, since Jesus Christ NEVER said anything against homosexuality. Opponents to gender equality cite the Bible, specifically the Old Testament book of Leviticus, as their reason and justification for hate.
Jesus Christ did give us a simple rule to follow, the Golden Rule, “Do unto others what you would want them to do to you.”
The following is a compilation from many sources regarding the Old Testament book of Leviticus:
Leviticus and Paul say homosexuality is an abomination. It is, they say, a sin and should be punished. “It is in the Bible,” you say. But there is a catch. The following rules are also in the Bible, and don’t get me started on the rules on our side of the covenant with God found in the Temple Scroll.
1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations.
2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15: 19-24.
4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord – Lev.1:9.
5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.
6. The Bible says eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10. Is it a lesser abomination than homosexuality?
7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight.
8. Can we men get our hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. And is punishable by death.
9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
10. If you own a farm, you violate Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field.
11. It is a stonable offense if a woman wears garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).
12. Also if you blaspheme, Leviticus says. You should be stoned to death by the entire community. (Lev.24:10-16).
13 Leviticus also says if you sleep with your in-laws you must be stoned to death. (Lev. 20:14)
Are you sure you want to hang your hat on, “homosexuality is wrong because Leviticus says so?”
Do you really want to adhere to the laws of Leviticus, even though they say you are not to eat a rare hamburger or steak, or put tattoos on your body? And here’s one I have not seen in Christian circles, Leviticus says it is a law that you should stand in respect in the presence of the aged.